I never understood the idea of buying certain spice mixes from a store. I have a perfectly good spice rack (with an extra cabinet full of other spices). A spice mix is just that – a mix of spices. The other night I made a Cajun spice mix to spice up some alfredo sauce. We’ve used the leftover spice mix on several other dishes. Boyfriend and I made French fries to go with some bratwurst. As big fans of Five Guys’ Cajun fries, we wanted to try and make our own.
- 5 medium potatoes
- olive oil
- Cajun seasoning
1) Mix together the spices.
2) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
3) Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Slice thinly. Stack the slices on top of each other. Cut in half again lengthwise.
Check out this video for a demonstration.
4) Prepare a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil, or a baking pain with a cooling rack.
5) Toss the fries with olive oil.
6) Spread the fries onto the baking sheet or aluminum foil. From a height, sprinkle the Cajun spice mix over the fries.
7) Bake for 15 minutes. Flip halfway through the cooking time with a pair of tongs or a spatula.
8) Remove from the oven and let cool. Salt if desired.
These were definitely spicy, but I’m not sure I liked baked fries as much as fried fries. The way they were cut may have contributed to a lack of crispiness, or perhaps I used too much oil. Regardless, keep the Cajun seasoning around to add a kick to any dish.